Can you repair or store vehicles on your driveway?

Yes, you can carry out minor repairs to your vehicle or bike outside your home. However, your driveway shouldn’t be used to keep vehicles that you have no intention of repairing or be used to store scrap vehicles.

My neighbour has a scrap or abandoned vehicle on their drive

You can report this to us by filling in our online form or by emailing us at

Please include the following information when reporting this to us.

  • What is the property address where the car is?
  • Can you provide a description of the vehicle and the registration plate?
  • What is the vehicle being used for, or what do you think it is used for?
  • Is it ever driven?
  • How long has it been there without moving?
  • Are you aware of any intention for it to be used again?
  • Are there any other scrap items on the drive?

You need to tell us about the issue, and whether you’ve tried to resolve this yourself - for example, if you’ve spoken to your neighbour directly. We’ll also need to know if you’ve reported this to anyone else such as the police or local authority, and if you have a reference number.

Please remember, we can only investigate reports if the property or person in question is a Futures customer, and you’ll need to provide their address.

If your neighbour doesn’t live in a Futures home, you can speak to the council or police for advice on how to deal with the issue.

What we’ll do

When we receive your query, it will be triaged by the customer services team to make sure you’ve provided all the information we need, and then it will be passed to a neighbourhood officer for investigation. They will get in touch with you within 5 working days.

If you need to report an abandoned vehicle in the road

If a vehicle has been abandoned and is causing an obstruction, then this should be reported to the police on 101.

You need to report any other abandoned or untaxed vehicles, or vehicles without an MOT, directly to the local authority or the DVLA.