Someone I am living with is moving out, what do I need to do?

Do you have a joint tenancy or are they a household member?

It will tell you in your tenancy agreement whether you have a joint or a sole tenancy.

If someone is not listed as a joint tenant, they are classed as a household member.

They are a household member

If a member of your household is moving out, the easiest way to update your details is on MyAccount. Alternatively, you can Live Chat with us.

If you are receiving Universal Credit or any other benefits, you need to let Universal Credit or housing benefit know about your change in situation as your benefit entitlement may change.

I have a joint tenancy

The process to change your tenancy to just you is called a joint to sole tenancy assignment.

Permission isn’t automatically granted for this. You need to complete and return the assignment application form.docx to us via email at or by post to the address: Futures Housing Group, PO BOX 141, Innovation House, Coniston Court, Blyth, NE24 9FQ.

What happens next?

Once the completed forms are received, your neighbourhood officer will contact you and the person moving out within five working days. They may also arrange a visit to your home and complete an affordability assessment to make sure you can manage your rent on your own.

We will also consider the size and type of property before making a decision. Where the size or type of property is no longer appropriate for your household, we will support you to move to a more suitable accommodation. You will stay in your current property until an alternative property is identified.

If you have any outstanding rent to pay, this is both joint tenants’ responsibility to make sure this is paid before the person moving out can be removed from the tenancy agreement.

If the assignment is agreed, you will be solely responsible for all the terms and conditions set out in your tenancy agreement.

What happens if the person has already left, or they can’t be contacted?

If someone has already left and moved out of your home you shared and their whereabouts is not known, or if they refuse to sign the forms to assign the tenancy, you will need apply to court to have the other person’s name removed from the tenancy.

You should seek independent legal advice and you can get help with this from Citizens Advice.

Need some money advice or help?

Click here if you are in receipt of any benefits or Universal credit.

You can speak to one of our money coaches on 0300 456 2531 or email

I live in a private rent property

If you live in one of our private rent homes, a court order is required to assign a private rent tenancy. There is no right to assign the tenancy under any other circumstances.

The only other way you can take over the tenancy for private rent is if you both terminate the tenancy and one person re-applies for the property on their own.

If either of you decide to do this then you will need to pay a deposit again. You both need to contact us to let us know who wants to leave and who wants to stay. The person that wants to leave needs to give us one month’s notice.