There's a water leak coming up from the ground (outside or inside)

It’s outside my home coming up through the ground

If the leak is not within the boundaries of the property or garden, you need to contact your water supplier. Your water supplier can be found here.

If the leak is within the boundaries of your property, report the repair to us.

It’s inside my home under the floor

You need to check everything above floor level, to make sure the leak is not coming from any pipework, radiators or anywhere else.

Try to figure out where the leak is coming from and then isolate the leak if possible.

Watch our videos on how to isolate a leak.

If you can’t trace the source of the leak report the fault to us so we can arrange for a repair to be raised. If the leak is severe we recommend that you turn off your main cold water stop tap until we attend.

Section 75 notice issued or a leak reported by the Water Authority

You might have been informed of a leak by the water authority or you could have been served with a Section 75 notice. This gives Futures and you 30 days to complete the repair. Please report this to us immediately so we can come and investigate.

How do I report a repair?

You can report a repair to us at anytime, anywhere using My Account or contact us via Live Chat. Let us know when reporting that you’ve followed the advice and that you’ve tried to get it working, this helps us to assess what to do next to get the right person for the job.

If your home is at risk of flooding or you can’t contain a leak, give us a call on 0300 456 2531 to report it so we can get one of our plumbers out as soon as possible.