Can I get help with the Underoccupancy cost? ( Bedroom tax )

Under current housing rules if you are classed as having at least 1 or more spare bedrooms in the property, which are not required under medical grounds, then your Housing Benefit (old style claimants) or Universal Credit Housing element may be reduced by 14% or 25%. If this causes financial hardship and you are unable to reasonably cover this shortfall cost yourself, you may be able to make a claim to your appropriate Council Benefits Team for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Claims are assessed by the Council on an individual case by case basis, and they may be able to help you with making your claim if you are not able to fully complete the forms yourself. To find your local council click here.